Texting with Resistance Labs
Text with Resistance Labs to support grassroots progressive activists, recruit candidates to run for office and help those candidates win.
1. Review Texting Overview Guide
If you are new to Texting in the context of elections, then before reading further please review the Texting Overview Guide. You’ll learn what texting is, why it’s important, and how it works at a high level.
In the Guide, you can also watch a brief video Introduction to Activist Texting to see a demonstration of how texting works, how it protects your privacy and how powerful, easy and rewarding it can be.
When you’re through reviewing, go on to the next step.
2. Learn about Resistance Labs Texting
Resistance Labs is primarily a texting organization that supports local grassroots leaders wherever they are doing important work. Resistance Labs serves Democratic and progressive organizations through texting in Spoke, with its clients paying for the costs of the texting. Clients are chosen based on whether they combat the far-right and improve the lives of working-class or marginalized people.
Resistance Labs aims to dramatically improve key outcomes for the Progressive movement, especially by capturing media attention in red and rural areas and recruiting new candidates where Democrats don’t typically run.
3. Virtually Train on Resistance Labs Texting Tools
If you haven’t done texting with Resistance Labs before, you should arrange for one of the virtual training offerings below. Once you’ve completed training, you will be credentialed to text with Resistance Labs and ready to move on to the next step. We strongly recommend going through the training sessions before using any texting tools (even if you’ve used Spoke before).
• Resistance Labs offers “do it yourself” training that can be done in about 30 minutes. If you’re comfortable learning on your own, click here to get started.
• Resistance Labs also offers live new texter trainings online on Saturdays at 1:00p ET. Sign up for a session here.
• Visit the texting calendar to view all texting events where you can look for Resistance Labs-specific training events.
• Sign up with one of Together for 2020’s volunteer trainers, as available, for a personalized Resistance Labs session by clicking here.
• If none of these scheduling options work, please email a volunteer at Together for 2020 Texting Support.
Note: As part of signing up for a Resistance Labs’ Spoke account, you’ll receive an email confirmation that must be acknowledged before you’ll be able to start your Resistance Labs texting.
If you have texted previously with Resistance Labs and are looking for a refresher, these are resources available to you:
4. Text Away!
Have at it and good luck texting!
You’ll receive email notifications of texting opportunities with a Spoke link specific to the campaign. You can also find texting opportunities, campaign instructions and campaign-specific Spoke links at the following locations:
- online at Resistance Labs’ texting page
- on Resistance Labs’ Slack workspace in the #announcements channel
- on Resistance Labs’ Facebook texting group page
For help/assistance texting with Resistance Labs and its tools, try one of the following:
- Check the Resistance Labs knowledgebase
- Search the Resistance Labs Slack workspace for previously posted answers to your question
- Post a message on Resistance Labs’ Slack workspace in the #questions channel or Facebook group
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have other general questions or issues, please see the Other Resources section below.