Texting with 2020 Victory for Biden/Harris
Text with the Democratic National Committee’s 2020 Victory National Text Team as well as battleground state teams to help elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
Texting partner with Together for 2020's Text-a-Thon II: Blast Off!
1. Review Texting Overview Guide
If you are new to Texting in the context of elections, then before reading further please review the Texting Overview Guide. You’ll learn what texting is, why it’s important, and how it works at a high level.
In the Guide, you can also watch a brief video Introduction to Activist Texting to see a demonstration of how texting works, how it protects your privacy and how powerful, easy and rewarding it can be.
When you’re through reviewing, go on to the next step.
2. Learn about Democratic National Committee's 2020 Victory Texting
The Democratic National Committee (DNC) is committed to taking back the White House in 2020 and electing Democrats at every level — from the school board to the Oval Office.
The 2020 Victory Text Team is the DNC’s national texting team to help elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
Together for 2020 is partnering with 2020 Victory in the texting party Text-a-Thon II: Blast Off! on Saturday, October 10, 2020.
In addition, state Democratic Parties in a number of battleground states, including Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin and others have their own texting teams that you can join to support the Biden/Harris ticket and other Democrats.
3. Virtually Train on 2020 Victory Texting Tools
If you haven’t texted with the DNC’s 2020 Victory National Text Team before, you’ll need to take the virtual training listed below (this applies even if you’ve texted with a state team). Once you’ve completed training, you’ll be provided with the steps needed to sign up and start texting. We strongly recommend going through the training session before attempting to use any texting tools.
- Sign up for the DNC’s 2020 Victory National Text Team training here.
- You will receive training on the DNC’s version of the texting platform ThruText as well as on the DNC’s Slack workspace.
- Following the training you will receive an email from 2020 Victory with links for the next steps, which will include reviewing the Opt-Out and ThruText Guides, completing a training review and joining and posting on the DNC’s 2020 Victory Slack workspace.
- If you experience any trouble finding a training, please email a volunteer at Together for 2020 Texting Support.
- If you wish to obtain training on texting for one of the state Democratic Parties, please see the Other Resources section below. Note that this Action Kit applies to the National Text Team only. State teams operate differently.
- ThruText is the tool used to send texts. Even if you have a ThruText account with another organization, you will need to get a separate ThruText account with the DNC.
- The DNC’s 2020 Victory Slack workspace is a key texting tool. It is where you go to complete the onboarding process, learn about new campaigns, obtain campaign-specific ThruText links and seek assistance when needed.
- The DNC’s training includes steps to sign up trainees on both of these tools.
- The DNC’s ThruText allows voters and contacts to call back the central DNC number and that call may be forwarded to your phone. You do not have to answer your phone and the caller will not see your personal phone number. DNC advises that you text the caller back using the “Someone Tried to Call Me” response: “Sorry! I can’t take calls. Can we talk over text instead?”
If you have texted previously with the 2020 Victory National Text Team and are looking for a refresher, these are resources available to you:
4. Text Away!
Have at it and good luck texting!
You will find daily instructions and campaign-specific ThruText links in the #text-get-texts Slack channel (both in the message stream and pinned to the channel).
For help/assistance texting with 2020 Victory and its tools, try one of the following:
- Check the 2020 Victory Text Team Toolkit, including the FAQ section.
- Search the 2020 Victory Slack workspace for previously posted answers to your question.
- Post a question in the #text-team channel.
Some common issues:
- If you need to log back onto ThruText to get to your existing assignments, go to democrats.textforvictory2020.com (DO NOT try to logon at thrutext.io).
- If you do not see the “Request Conversations” button or pressing it gives an error message such as “No conversations available”, then please go back to the #text-get-texts Slack channel to get a new assignment.
Once you’re up and running with the 2020 Victory National Text Team, be sure to register for Together for 2020’s texting party Text-a-Thon II: Blast Off! on Saturday, October 10th. 2020 Victory is the texting partner for the event. And to have the best experience at the Text-a-Thon, make sure to practice texting with 2020 Victory in advance.
If you have other general questions or issues, please see the Other Resources section below.
5. Other Resources
- DNC’s 2020 Victory National Text Team:
- ThruText’s Texter Training Video
- 2020 Victory Onboarding Checklist (includes links to Training Review, Toolkit, Opt-Out Guide and Slack sign up)
- 2020 Victory Text Team Toolkit (includes links to Training sign-up, Opt-Out Guide, Slack help and Reassign Replies Form)
- Democratic National Committee website
- Together for 2020 Slack Training Guide
- Slack Help Center
- ThruText Help Center
- State Democratic Parties:
- CO: 2020 Victory Colorado Text Team training signup
- FL: 2020 Victory Florida Text Team training signup
- IA: Battleground Iowa 2020 Text Team training and textbank signup
- MN: Minnesota 2020 Victory Texting Team training signup
- NC: North Carolina Text Team training and textbank signup
- OH: Battleground Ohio 2020 textbank signup
- WI: 2020 Victory Wisconsin for Biden Text Team training signup